Contact Your Representatives in Under 2 Minutes!
It's so easy and is brought to you by the American Nurses Association. We recommend a follow-up call. Find your Congress members' numbers here.
December 2018: Identical Bills Were Introduced in the U.S. House & Senate
Bipartisanship is propelling these twin bills, called The United States Cadet Nurse Corps Service Recognition Act. They were introduced on Dec. 7, 2018.
Senate Bill 3729 was introduced by Senators Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Angus King (I-ME), and Steve Daines (R-MT), and has been joined by Senators Edward J. Markey (D-MA), Chris Murphy (D-CT), and Robert Menendez (D-NJ).
HR7258 was introduced in the U.S. House by Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL) and Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-MT).
The gist of the bill, as outlined in the Senate press release, would:
The bill has been endorsed 100% by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Nurses Association, the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, American Association for the History of Nursing, and the American Organization of Nurse Executives.
Senator Warren, one of four Senators to sponsor the United States Cadet Nurse Corps Service Recognition Act, released this video about the issue.
- Complete text of the NEW bill u.s._cadet_nurse_corps_service_recognition_act_text_of_bill.pdf
- Senate Bill S3729: The United States Cadet Nurse Corps Service Recognition Act (Introduced Dec 2018)
- House of Representatives HR7258: To recognize and honor the service of individuals who served in the United States Cadet Nurse Corps during World War II, and for other purposes. (Introduced Dec 2018)
- Press Release for The United States Cadet Nurse Corps Service Recognition Act (Released Dec. 6, 2018)
- Merchant Marines Awarded Veteran’s Status (template for Cadet Nurse Honorary Veteran Status)
Veterans’ Benefits: Eligibility of Merchant Mariners (August 26, 2015 – January 27, 2017). Final bill includes no $$$
- World War II Cadet Nurse Civil Service Fairness Act (Introduced in US Senate 1993 - did not pass)
- United States Cadet Nurse Corps Equity Act (Introduced in US House of Representatives every year since 1995 - has not passed)
- Connecticut Resolution submitted Jan 2019